LGBTQ Access & Inclusion Intern
Department: Education and Experience Development
Supervisor: Exhibit Development Director and Chair of CCM’s initiative to actively welcome and engage the LGBTQ community (LGBTQ = lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning)
Possible Majors: Gender Studies, Queer Studies, Psychology, Social Work, Education, Child Development, Museum Studies, Marketing, Communications.
Requirements: College-level studies in above or related fields; strong connection to (or strong desire to connect to) the LGBTQ community; excellent communication skills (written and verbal); organized; reliable; self-directed; uses discretion and shows sensitivity to others; team player.
Description of Projects and Tasks:
- Special Event
- Help plan, implement and host all aspects of International Family Equality Day, held at Chicago Children’s Museum on May 1, 2016 (must be able to attend May 1, 2016)
- Help organize museum-wide activities
- Help organize appropriate resources, community organizations, and performers for LGBTQ Hospitality Suite and Resource Room.
- Meetings and other potential tasks (depending on intern’s interest, skills and strengths):
- Attend regular LGBTQ Access & Inclusion committee meetings
- Attend general museum meetings with supervisor as appropriate
- Contribute ideas and/or develop activities for staff trainings that build awareness and sensitivity to the LGBTQ community.
- Photograph LGBTQ families on-site to diversify museum’s photo library for potential use in marketing materials and museum signage
Minimum 200 hours; 15-20 hours per week, may include nights and weekends (schedule is flexible)
Dates Flexible: January - April, 2017
Internships are unpaid. Chicago Children's Museum’s Internship Program provides interns the opportunity to develop important work skills and gain practical experience while working on significant projects to further the Museum’s mission.